Data centers provide great career prospects for IT professionals across the globe. In today’s data-centric world, these facilities provide core functionalities for business operations. In order to run the facilities efficiently, workers need to have a wide range of skills. It also takes time to gain the necessary data center related knowledge and experience. The bottom line? Workers with the right expertise are in high demand.
Skilled Data Center Workers Remain in High Demand in 2018
To state the obvious, the American economy has been booming for the last few years. The US unemployment rate is at an all-time low of around 4 percent. Due to the explosive growth of the tech sector, the IT industry is in an even better position. In mid-2018, the tech unemployment rate was around 1.9 percent.
Various factors are contributing to the tech sector growth. Besides the expansion of data-centric businesses, organizations are adopting new and exciting technologies like Artificial Intelligence, machine learning, the internet of things (IoT), the blockchain, virtual reality and more. On the backend, all of these technologies require more data processing, so data center workers can expect to see growing demands for their skills.
According to Glassdoor, the annual salaries for some of the common data center positions look like this:
- Data Center Manager: Average salary $58,517 with a range of $43K to $85K
- Data Center Technician: Average salary $60,125 with a range of $43K to $85K
- Network Engineer: Average salary $111,556 with a range of $73K to $170K
- Systems Administrator: Average salary $78,322 with a range of 53K to $106K
- Marketing Manager: Average salary $93,125 with a range of $65K to $130K
- Software Engineer: Average salary $115,462 with a range of $78K to $154K
- Data Analyst: Average salary $83,878 with a range of $54K to $107K
- Data Center Manager: Average annual salary $80,512 with a range of $49K to $126K
- Data Center Technician: Average annual salary $47,454 with a range of $35K to $72K
- Network Engineer: Average annual salary $69,158 with a range of $54K to $89K
- Systems Administrator: Average annual salary $49,665 with a range of $34K to $71K
- Marketing Manager: Average annual salary $58,854 with a range of $40K to $85K
- Software Engineer: Average annual salary $95,000 with a range of $44K to $82K
- Data Analyst: Average annual salary $54,252 with a range of $44K to $82K
According to Salary.com, Data Center Director's average annual salary is $150,865 with a range of $136K to 173K.
Salaries Around the World
IT professionals enjoy competitive salaries around the globe. Here are some examples of network engineer salaries across various countries (obtained from Glassdoor):
- Canada: Network Engineer average annual salary is CA$76K (around US$86K) with a range of CA$54K to CA$101K
- Australia: Network Engineer average annual salary is A$80,856 (around US$59K) with a range of A$60K to A$121K
- United Kingdom: Network Engineer average annual salary is £36,449 (around US$46K) with a range of £25K to £56K
- India: Network Engineer average annual salary is ₹386,914 (around US$5K) with a range of ₹192K to ₹826K
Cloud computing, virtualization, and hybrid environments are changing data center operations, which means it’s important for workers to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies. In short, data center workers who are willing to learn new skills will continue to enjoy great compensations and benefits in the coming years.